I've handled all the hunting models (Featherweight, Extreme Weather, Super Grade and Sporter) and must say they are impressive in build quality.

I like the trigger...very crisp with minimal creep. I'm not one to tinker with triggers, though, so I can't say it's better than the old style trigger. All I know is the old style trigger needed some work to get where these are from the factory.

IMHO, the Super Grade wood was better on older models. The bluing is really nice on the new ones, though.

I like the looks of the older red recoil pads better, but the function of the new black Decelerators is clearly better than the old hard rubber.

The stocks on the new Featherweight seem a bit plain-Jane to me. I've seen nicer wood on older models.

One thing about the new rifles that is unmistakable for their heritage is the slickness of the action. The bolt slides like a hot knife through butter and feels very nice.

One thing I've noticed on all the new models I've handled is the three-position safety is a bit sticky. Perhaps it will smooth out with use but there is definitely some grittiness when you move it back and forth.

All that said, I love them and will be getting one soon. Probably a sporter in .270 Win or a FWT in .308 Win.

What could be a sadder way to end a life than to die having never hunted with great dogs, good friends and your family?