Originally Posted by Mule Deer
One of the best pieces of advice anybody ever gave me came from one of my mentors in the writing business. He said, "Always remember the average guy."

That's somebody a lot of writers forget, including many posters on the Campfire.

JB,
This is good advice and I fall guilty of forgetting this at times. It is easy to review and move on, whereas there are always new people coming into the sport which I guess is why, we are often accused of repeating ourselves in print, which is the opposite side of the coin.

I always remember the lessons of EK where he was considered an African Rifle expert long before he ever set foot on that soil, simply because he knew cartridges and shot enough local game to see how they worked. Extrapolation is ok on that basis, if you really do test those cartridges and loads.

Maybe we could ask the question in reverse, what cartridge would you leave at home for an elk hunt? CO DOW says a .243 with 80gn bullet is ok for elk, but I do not see it recommended here? Personally, I would take one rather than cancel the elk hunt, but I would be perfectly happy with a 7mm/08.

John

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.