I guided a guy on a cow elk hunt last year. He couldn't find any elk and called me for help. He was shooting a .30-06 with 150 grain XMR bullets. This is a fabulous combination in my book. He was REALLY concerned that the .30-06 bullets would bounce off, since he had "read" everything on the internet about elk hunting. This was his first elk rifle experience.

He had a .300 Win Mag, but he couldn't hit anything with it. He said it had a bad barrel, but he flinches worse than anyone I have ever seen n(150 lbs. soaking wet). I took him up the next morning and had him on elk in a matter of minutes. We spent the next hour trying to catch up to the small herd and get him within 300 yards. I had my 7 year old son with us and were were in a blinding snow storm. The elk busted us at 335 yards. He kept saying, "They are too far for this gun. I sure wish I had something more powerful." I told him to sit down, hold the cross hairs 3/4" of the way up the shoulder and touch one off." The shot rang out, the big cow hunched up and started crow hopping. The shot was centered in the front shoulder. The cow hopped a few steps, tipped over and slid down the mountain in the snow. Upon recovery, the bullet exited the off side shoulder and there was blood everywhere.

He promptly went out and bought a .300 WSM, because he felt so undergunned with the .30-06. Everyone he talked to but me, told him he got "lucky" and should never hunt with a marginal round like the .30-06. This is so typical. I have asked him over and over again what the .300 would have done different than the .30-06? His reply, "It would have killed it quicker and it shoots flatter." His maximum range is 350 yards. Go figure. Flinch

Flinch Outdoor Gear broadhead extractor. The best device for pulling your head out.