Been considering a new rifle - either 7mm-08 or 6.5x55, possibly .308 for versatility and availability, but it's kinda generic, everyone has it, and it's got a helluva kick for the same effect as a x55 or a 7mm-08...

Was thinking PTR-91 (newgen), but am hesitating as I've read MANY reports of questionable QC as of late, and that they are needing some additional internals upgrades to maintain reliability with varied ammo. Plus, semi-auto means burning through ammo faster in plinking, and more parts to break. Also less value placed on ammo, and no reloading ability (which I will be getting into as well)

General use, outdoors/woods walking/hiking, some plinking, and eventually hunting. Reliability is of high importance, as with quality of build (out of box) for a good price. Accuracy, better is good obviously, but realistically with irons, few people can pull better than 2MOA unsupported anyways.
Budget of $1,000 at first, up to $400-600 add'l after I sell a couple of guns...
I will be scoping, the Steyr getting a Nikon Monarch BDC 3-9, or the CZ FS getting a Leupold 2-7 with German #4.

So, between a Steyr ProHunter (.308 or 7mm-08) or CZ 550 FS in 6.5x55 (or .308), which would be the call? Opinions?

Last edited by Shadow9; 03/06/11.