Finally tried a Steyr SBS96 (ProHunter), old-gen and new-gen at a gunstore, plus another CZ 527/452!

On BOTH ProHunters, still had loud cocking "clicks" from the rear of the bolt as it was engaging and locking various Steyr safety- workings...I'm trying to lift the bolt-handle SLOWLY, to simulate a quiet-cocking in the field, and on bolt-lift and let-down, theres still a loud click. Plus the handle requires ALOT of force to lift, with all the springs inside. I was not impressed. If you try to lift and close the bolt SLOWLY, you'll notice a first "unlock" click at around 23% lift, and another LOUD one that throws the handle against the receiver top at around 85%. Even when slowing the handle down at the 85% mark, and REALLY trying to keep it from smacking the reciever, it makes a loud "click" Plus, unlocking the rifle (from Safety-on and bolt-handle locked-down), even with easing it up, makes another "plasticy" audible click. If it was a SMOOTH and LIGHT lift and lower (the slide-action of the bolt is wonderful, I will say), I'd be sold, or a way to lighten the lift/take care of the clicks. Again, this happened on BOTH Pro-Hunters (1 SBS-96 older, 1 brand new). Did notice the design IS like a bank-vault, SOLID/HUGE reciever, 4-lugs stacked, and a bolt the size of a weatherby Mk 5. No wonder it can take 150,000psi and keep truckin!

The barrel was pretty, I don't normally like "sporter" barrels, but for some reason this one matches the gun swell. After holding it for a little, I could steady it pretty well, and the swirls going down the barrel were a nice touch to look at.
As far as the stock is concerned - the ergos, palm swell, and rear-hand angle was like the gun was made for me. Beautiful, new-gen-take on old-world Germanic styling, and the two-stage trigger was...well...I'm sure there's good comparisons we can all think of... wink

I did notice the flexy-forearm (on the old, less on the new), but I hold it back at it's balance point anyways, right in front of the mag. Though this COULD present issues in a modified-prone position if you don't have the space to put the pack and your hand under the mag. Also noticed that the stock was quite SOLID and HARD on my cheek, and "simulated recoil" was rougher through it, with a definite ability to create muzzle-jump (dislike).
NOTE - *"simulated recoil" - grab the stock closer to the front for leverage, and pull it HARD and FAST back against your shoulder, straight as possible, following the direction of force on the gun that true recoil would provide.

The CZ(s), on the other hand - Slow manipulation of the bolt was SILENT, barely a "Click" out of it as it locked the firing pin back. MUCH Easier to lift, thus faster to rack, and I really can't argue with the Cthulu-approved-claw extractor on it. :P Plus, CRF is better than push-feed, IMO. Especially since I can ration when and where that shell goes when I'm done.

The fullstock was GORGEOUS, and when I pulled it up to shoulder, *BAM*, those irons were SIGHTED, ready to go. The added front weight made it rock-steady in my hands, but the short-front added the pointability that I like. I could "Curl" around it as well as I can mi'lady (whom also preferred the look and feel of the FS better than the Steyr, I may add.)

It (CZ) was a VERY Solid build, and yes, a bit heavy, but that's due to the old-school manufacture, and hand-made design. I did notice one of the 3 fullstocks (2x 452, 1x 527) had a barrel that was VERY close (possibly touching) the stock on the right side, but that's where I like the old-school build on it...I wouldn't hesitate to use some sandpaper to give it some more breathing-room.

Bolt was a little grindy and sticky as some have said, but that's what racking, use, and polish is for. I also did notice that trying to rack it forward and back smoothly did bind here and there, but IT'S NEW. It means CZ did a VERY tight tolerance out of the box, so it would maintain a nice tight smooth fit later in life. A very steady rack at a specific angle defeats the bind. When I've handled them, unissued surplus M98 and 98k's have behaved like that too, for the record. It's a Mauser-thing.

The Trigger was also equally impressive - in stock form it didn't have the two-stage soft-buildup/predictable travel I liked of the Steyr, but if I recall the screws and assembly of the CZ trigger ALLOW you to incorporate some "Creep" to the trigger, giving a "two-stage" feel. The Set-trigger was very intuitive, smooth to go forward, and wonderfully silky-light to tip-off.

I know the steyrs are capable of spaying a hornet at 100yds, but really, I as a shooter am not nearly skilled enough to do even a solid 1.5MOA at 100yds unsupported yet, even prone. Most CZ's with a good handload have come in between 0.75 and 1.5, which when you relate it, is still putting all 3 rounds INTO the equivalent size of a deer's eye-socket at 100yards.

So, overall, I think I'll be going CZ here, unless I can find a GOOD fix to that Steyr bolt issue.

Now is just the decision of 6.5x55 for light/easy/Laser-beam shooting, or .308 for "Sit, boy! SIT!" effectiveness (and versatility of finding rounds, 5.56 sabots, and 100gr->175gr handload ability).

Decisions, decisions!
Thank you again for the reviews on the rifles you've owned, it allowed me to more or less "simulate" the rifle ownership besides holding it.