There's the same question posted over on Accuratereloading. Was that one by you? Just wondering.
Anyway, I use a Leupold, Vari-X III, 1.5-5x scope on my .338 mag. This rifle is mainly my moose rifle and has been used on Afognak Island for elk. Both areas have thick brush/timber and open areas as well. Grizzlires are a possibility in our moose hunting area and we've run into what seems like countless brown bears on Afognak. Never, ever, would I want a scope with high power - even a variable. In addition, I've never seen the need for the illuminated crosshairs. The principle is
simple - KISS!!! In addition, I'd recommend a set of open sights on the rifle as a backup should something happen to your scope. You've got lottsa money & time tied up with your hunt and open sights are cheap insurance. Don't even go there with "take an extra scope on your trip" comments. That doesn't fly with me.
In addition, I wouldn't use a scope that was over a 1x variable. Up close & personal and you can well be looking at nothing but fur. Had that happen to my partner on Afognak with his fixed 6x. In short, get a top quality, 1-xx variable scope & use QR mounts. My preference is my 1.5-5 Leupold and, as I recall, the crosshairs are the THICK duplex. Fast target acquisition. Just my thoughts & good luck.
Bear in Fairbanks

"Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes."
Amazingly, I've lived long enough to see a President who is worse than Carter.
And finally,
Gun control means using two hands.