I have a 9.3X62 550 FS and am quite recoil sensitive. But I have learned to deal with my 9.3 and actually enjoy shooting it. But before I got the 9.3 I thought my 30-06 was pretty stiff - but now it does not seem as bad as before.

I usually shoot 65 grains of Ramshot Big Game in it behind 285 g. PRVI bullets. (JB suggested load.) They chronograph at just over 2400 fps. Scoped the rifle weighs 8 lbs. 10 oz., with NECG peep sight it weighs about 15 oz. less and I can tell the difference in recoil.

The length of pull with the 1" thick CZ recoil pad was over 14" on my rifle. Even though I'm over 6' tall this was too long and I put on a 0.60" Pachmayr pad. I have not shot it yet with the new pad but the length of pull is now better for me (I did not cut the stock).

To me the recoil seems to raise up more with the hogback stock, but I don't find it any harder to handle than my son's 375 Ruger which has a very straight stock. Even though my rifle has a 20.5" long barrel the blast does not seem bad. I have only shot it with hearing protection on but the 9.3X62 burns much less powder than does a 375 H&H or 375 Ruger.

IMHO if you can handle a 30-06 with 180 g. loads, you should have no problem adapting to the 9.3.

"It is wise, though, to remember above all else: rifle, caliber, scope, and even bullets notwithstanding, the most important feature of successful big game hunting is to put that bullet in the correct place, the first time!" John Jobson