Originally Posted by bwinters
Originally Posted by bigsqueeze
Originally Posted by bwinters
Re 17 isn't going to turn a 308 into a 30-06.........

2800 in a 24" barrel 30-06 is 61-63k psi. Can't imagine what it would be in a short barrel 308.

Interestingly enough, I've tried Re 17 in 5 different rifles and have yet to reach Alliant's max charge without stiff bolt lift and ejector marks on cases. In my experience, Re 17 gives me 30-50 ft/sec more velocity than H 4350. Shooting my 300 WSM this weekdnd confirmed that again.
..........Tell that to MontanaMarine`s 308. 2800 fps from a 24" 30-06 is the generally accepted average.

He says that with a 200 grainer, his 308 gets 2700 fps with RL17. So I guess that his rifle is not capable of 2800 using a 180? I wouldn`t exactly bet on that! There are some faster bores out there.

Feel free to do as you believe. I'll pass.

Please also recall that Shane trusts his face to QuickLoad as well. I teach mathematical modeling using numerical methods. I'm well aware of mathematical models - their shortcomings and strengths. I trust Shane knows of what he does - and the risks inherent.

I've evaluated all the above. I'll still pass.
................Each rifle has its own tolerance for maximum loads as to what is acceptable and not acceptable for "that" individual rifle. If Montana says he is getting no pressure signs from "HIS" rifle, then who are we to say it cannot be done? HE owns, loads for, shoots and chronys HIS rifle,,,,,,,,,,,WE don`t!

Depending on the bore whether slower or faster and from two identical rifles using the same identical charge, there can be a 100 fps (maybe more) swing difference in velocity which can go in either direction.

Then add in to the equation some RL17, which can and does increase velocity in various cartridges "without" pressure increases. I don`t see why it would seem impossible for a 20.5" barreled 308 to ship a 180 gr bullet from its muzzle at velocites ranging from 2700 to 2800 fps using RL17 only.

Montana is already doing 2700 fps with a darn 200 grainer using RL17 with no pressure signs. Now IF that is true, then it is quite obvious HIS rifle is capable of 2750 to 2800 fps using a 180 gr bullet using the RL17.

With my own rifles, and to determine what the max loads are, I look for sticky bolts, shiny marks on the case heads, the usual pressure signs from the primers, shortened case life and all the rest of it.

Like someone who exercises who listens to his body, rifle owners should also heed and take notes on what their rifles are telling them as well.

Based on those pressure signs and when I first begin to see them, I determine the max loadings each of my individual rifles can handle and live with whatever the maximum velocities happen to be.

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger