Originally Posted by BobinNH
We have bullets that blow to smithereens on the near side and bullets that will penetrate an Abrams from any angle.....and endless variations in between.....so there are lots of choices and variations on a theme.

I might not agree with someone else's concept of what works "best", but it is pretty hard to argue with dead animals on the ground.....I am no Berger user but there are people whose opinions and experience levels I trust and respect who say they work very well,especially at longer distances.

That said I do notice some Bergers advocates modifying their views a bit,and I hear less about "instant lightening strike kills"from soft vitals hits than I did a couple years ago.....now it seems acceptable that the animals take a few steps before they expire,which is to be expected....because there are no bullets which always give instant kills all the time with soft tissue hits on BG animals,and likely never will be...

Can't say I really disagree with Logcutter either, in settling on one or two particular styles for his hunting, because the truth is most bullet "experimenters" never get to shoot enough BG animals to ever learn how a particular bullet works under a very wide variety of circumstances,and a wide range of game.....and a few animals rarely tells the whole story....if you shoot one or two elk with a given bullet and move on, you have, IMHO learned nothing.

I'd listen harder to impressions of people who cull hunt in,say, Africa,because,there, animals are larger in general and a guy gets to shoot a lot of them.Here stateside,it would take a small lifetime of just using one bullet type to really learn its' capabilities,given the limited bags involved on game larger than a few whitetail does.

Consequently I'm not terribly interested in "experimenting",because I'm not going to learn enough with just a few animals......this does not mean I am against "progress" either.....but it means I'll leave the experiments to the cull shooters,and other professionals who get to shoot more animals than me.

I'm here to hunt and kill stuff;not experiment on behalf of bullet makers.I wanna know exactly what is going to happen when I pull the trigger...........every time,or as close as possible..JMHO

Bob,

IMO the experimenting should be done by bullet manufacturing companies. I think that we as hunters just need to be open to new things after the experimentation has been done, and new products are available. I'm not suggesting we use every bullet that gets introduced, but simply that we don't shoot ourselves in the foot (pun intended) by locking ourselves in a room, clutching our one cherished bullet close to our chest, and ignoring the technological progress that the rest of the world makes.