I own several designated slug guns and out to 50 yds. all will take deer cleanly and quickly. If you want a long range shooter without breaking the bank, I recommend the H&R UltraSlug in 12 ga. I have a Nikon 3x9 SlugHunter scope with the BDC reticule mounted on it and I believe it is the single most accurate slug gun I have ever seen for any distance beyond 50 yds. It is one heavy gun though. Since I hunt 100% of the time from a stand, this is not an issue for me. My gun will shoot either a single jagged hole or a cloverleaf at 100 yds every time from a sandbagged benchrest. I can't do as well standing freehand because I'm an old phart and shake a bit. I have a Mossberg 500 pump, a remington 11-87 semi-auto, and a Stevens 210 bolt. My second most accurate gun is the Stevens 210. My goto gun for deer is the H&R UltraSlug. I took a 310 lb bear in Canada with that gun 2 years ago and have taken several nice bucks with it as well. It is a shooter for sure!

You need to shoot a bunch of different sabot slugs through any DSG to see which your particular gun and barrel prefers. That can be a bit expensive if you don't find it's favorite pretty quickly. For example, I spent almost $80.00 in slugs before I found one that grouped under 2" at 50 yds. Once I did and fine-tuned my scope, I have a real tack-driver. I wouldn't trade it for anything! By the way, my UltraSlug seems to prefer the Federal Barnes Expander Hollow Point in 3". Yours may or may not prefer the same sabot as mine.

Last edited by theslugger; 04/18/11.