Interesting series of posts - at least some of them are-.

I'm trying to find a replacement powder for H205 for my old (1934 M98 Mauser, made for Venezuela by FN with a Douglas barrel). I had settled on a stiff load (two grains less than I had worked up to) that gave me over 2900 fps with the 140 Nosler Partition. The same load with 140 Ballistic Tips was over 3,000 fps and was too hot for my rifle as there was bolt stiffness. With the partition and the 139 g. Hornady the brass lasts for many reloads so pressures did not appear excessive. Ballistic Tips are another story. My rifle has a long throat so what works in mine may not work in another.

I've been trying H414 but the book max was 49 g. I will try Aussie Gun Writers load of up to 52 g. of H414 - working up from below.

Last fall I chronographed a series of loads in 0.5 g increments with H414 powder, WW brass, Winchester Magnum primers from 47 to 49 g. Velocities were from 2661 (47 g.) to 2789 (49 g.)fps. A week later 49.5 and 50 g. gave velocities (3 shot average)of 49.5 g = 2811, 50 g = 2836 fps.

There have been no signs of pressure on the brass or with the bolt lift so I'm ready to "lean on it" (with deference to Ingwe) to 52 g.

"It is wise, though, to remember above all else: rifle, caliber, scope, and even bullets notwithstanding, the most important feature of successful big game hunting is to put that bullet in the correct place, the first time!" John Jobson