Big 7's always bring a befuddling problem,which is good to have IMHO.....and that is.....for one use or another, lots of bullets work really well...and they ALL go pretty fast,which seems to be why.

While smaller cases come close to larger one's with lighter bullets,they do not have the case capacity to keep up with heavier bulles.

The Big 7's OTOH,have enough capacity to provide good velocities with the entire spectrum of 7mm bullets.

Like Crowhunter, I've used a large parcel of 140 NPT's and Bitterroots on game,and it is damn hard to find those 140 NPT's;the wider expansion of the BBC's has allowed me to recover a few here and there...ditto with 160's of the same brands.

And if construction is proper,seems everythingg from 120 to 175 is "elk capable".....I know they work on deer, too..

And 120 TTSX at 3550 from a 7mmDakota has a shockingly flat trajectory to 500-600 yards.How it does in wind, I have no idea.

Something I like about the Mashburn Super (an STW in drag),is that it starts even those high BC 175 NPT's fast enough that for all practical purposes,there is not much difference in trajectory between it and a 160 at 3200,out to 600 yards.....which I have confirmed with the dots.

With everything working so well, no small wonder there is lively debate about what bullet to use from a Big 7.... smile

Last edited by BobinNH; 06/06/11.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.