Originally Posted by huntsonora
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
What's a "killer dowel pin"?

During engine assembly, a steel dowel pin is pressed into the block to precisely locate its timing-gear housing. Over time, vibration can cause the pin to work its way out, and because it's made of steel, there is no working its way through the engine. To fix the KDP you have to tab it. This was the weakest point of the 12 valve. Mine was tabbed within my first 100 miles of ownership

huntsonora is right. The KDP can be an issue with some of the 24 valve Cummins, but it is mainly a 12 valve problem. It is an easy fix with the engine out or in a truck because I had to do one in my RV which I couldn't see without using mirrors. If I could do it like that, then being able to see what you are doing would be much easier.

My RV had about 35,000 miles on it at the time. It was a hard 35,000 considering what it has to move plus I use it to pull a very heavy trailer when we race. The dowel pin should be flush to slightly recessed from the factory. Mine had already worked out about a 1/4". It will do a number on the timing gears and case if it comes all the way out.

The kit is only about $60 to $75. It is more labor intensive than anything. I decided to put a Fluidampr during reassembly. I have one on my 24 valve Cummins that really quietened it down. I don't believe the horsepower claims from Fluidampr, but I do feel it is good for the long term longevity of a diesel engine.