Originally Posted by Mule Deer
There is NO set age where any human can handle a .30-06. I've known a bunch of adult he-men who can't shoot it well.

If you have any doubts about the .243, load some good 120-130 grain bullets in the 6.5x55, whether Nosler Partition, Barnes Tipped TSX, or whatever. 2700-2800 fps will do fine, and not kick much more than the .243.

There's no need to use heavy bullets in the 6.5x55 if you're using premium bullets. All they heavy bullets will do is kick more.

It took till page two for someone to say this? Voice in the wilderness, John.

Age has nothing to do with whether or not a certain caliber can be "handled" (John's hearing an echo now). A ten year-old neighbor kid shot my Siamese Mauser .45-70 (loaded to extreme) better than I ever did. On the other hand, at the age of 14, I was four foot eleven, weighed 85lbs, was indoctrinated into highpowers at the age of 10 (like a lot of unfortunate kids) with a curved-steel buttplate '94 .30-30. No gun has ever hurt more.

I manage to do pretty well now (at 6foot one,190) with the big stuff, but it is always a phsycological effort, and when there is an easier choice, I go for it. Big guys with big guns are always putting the touch on me before hunting season to use my range, and more often than not they shoot them rather miserably on the paper (but cannot bring themselves to admit misery when the trigger is pulled).

The ten year old that simply thrived on recoil (and still does)? He's now 16, 6foot, 220. His personal rifle that he can clean clocks with against big guys/big guns is a Swede Carbine. I make sure he's around when the Magnumbs come to visit. He shoots their rifles better than they do, and shoots his 6.5 better than any of us with anything.

Last edited by Tahnka; 07/10/11.

"I have always disliked the words 'authority' and 'expert' when applied to those who write about guns, shooting,and hunting. I have never set myself up as either."
Jack O'Connor