"If the 243 is no good, why are you putting a so-so performer in the hands of a new, inexperienced shooter? By your own admission, aren't you dooming them to fail?"

I think the idea for introducing young inexperienced hunters to hunting/shooting, is to get them off to a low recoil/blast start - to avoid the flinch, and focus on accuracy and shot placement. A 243 esp. for non handloaders is a good option.

ANY rifle given to a new/inexperienced shooter is prone to failure no matter the power of the round - if proper practice and education on shot placement inc. from field positions and from different angles the game presents.

Looking at say Texas Trophy hunting magazine and all the pics in the back where youngsters start out killing deer with anything from 22 Hornets to 222s and 223s should answer the above question.

Those kids were trained well and practiced.

Shot placement is not everything, but it can usually overcome most anything, even bad bullet choices. Hit a moose in the eye with a 223 or 243 and see what happens, even if you use a varmint bullet smile

The biggest problem with a 243 is poor shooters, inc. grown men. The biggest reason it's not used more is:

A) Many grown men feel the need for more power - for their ego's

B) It's killing effectiveness is often underestimated or has been misunderstood due to poor bullet choice and/or placement.

Having dropped deer with even 70gr TNTs when that was what was in my 6BR or 243 died just fine b/c I knew I had to shoot a vital not needing alot of penetration, so I nearly decapitated one deer and another I just perforated the lungs. They were jelly!

As Stoney said, 243 is plenty for deer and used properly can take larger game. I believe Steelhead/Scott or someone posted about a 243/85 TSX combo taking black bear w/solid results.

I seem to recall native's up north using 22 Hornets and small 22s like 222 or 223 for Polar bear and other very large game, to good effect. I am not advocating, just presenting what has been done.

I believe Poor shot placement above all is the biggest cause for lost or wounded game - regardless of caliber/cartridge.