Originally Posted by Skatchewan
My son has a very good chance of getting drawn for moose this year. He is 14, has 3 deer under his belt, all with his ,243.
He has also shot my 6.5x55, but not my 30.06

If he were to get drawn, and decided to use his .243, which premium bullet would you recommend?

85 gr. Barnes TSX
80 gr Barnes TTSX
90 gr Nosler AB
90 gr Swift SCII

Not necessarily in that order, but whichever shot the best out of his rifle. Being that the vitals of a good moose are about the size of 1/2 sheet of ply wood (joking), I'd not get to dogmatic over micro sizing the groups though and would start with the selection from Barnes first.

I'd also get a hold of some large pieces of scrap cardboard and make a full size "Cardboard Moose" and a can of flat black spray paint. He could use that for a target which would force him to "Pick-A-Spot" and at different shot angles.

You didn't ask, but I too vote for the 6.5x55 Swed using the bullet pictured on page #2 of this thread.

I'd load light to begin with and have him shoot "Fun" targets (water balloons, water jugs, the cardboard moose, etc) away from the bench. (use lightweight inexpensive bullets to start with)

When he was ready, you could load it a "little" hotter and continue at "his" pace. Don't rush it, even a good starting load with that aforementioned bullet will serve him well. I'm sure that if you are disciplined and don't rush it he will eventually be shooting top loads.

Always encourage his shooting ability and shot placement on the targets while giving little attention to the fact that he is shooting a "bigger" gun (a little psychological mind game to keep him focused on the target and NOT the recoil).

"I'd rather have an Army of Asses led by a Lion, than an Army of Lions led by an Ass." (George Washington)