OK, so I wanted to get a rifle set-up to try some long (to me) target shooting (start at 500yds and work my way out). I decided on a 7mm WSM, so that narrowed my choice of rifles drastically since I wanted something on the heavy side to make the shooting a little more pleasurable. Finally found one of the New Haven Coyotes in like new condition, bought it (along with 140rds of Federal factory ammo, mainly for the brass) and picked it up from my FFL today.

I had a Near Mfg 10MOA picatinny rail that I had bought from Cabela's a few years back on clearance. I prep'ed everything, taped off the action (minus the portions where the base sits), sprayed Hornady One Shot on it, and mixed up a small amount of Marinetex. It's not sitting with the base mounted with ~10inlbs of torque - figured that was enough to seat it good without inducing any "bending" of the rail if the action is not exactly square.

I'll finish up the base tomorrow night (torque it properly), mount the scope rings, lap 'em, and get a scope mounted.

Hope to get out to the range (300yds max) this weekend, sight it in and shoot a group or two.