John, see, that's because you didn't use a 6mm Remington, a vastly superior cartridge design. (Guess which variety of pretty much the same thing I use? wink )

Funny you should mention a change in attitude. I must have been 13 when Uncle Jack shot a doe at close range (under a hundred) with his new and much bragged up .243 Winchester. Between ribs in and out with no indication of expansion by the old Silvertip. I put it down with a .30-'06 (Grandpa's sporterized Springfield) using 180 grain factory somethings. Pretty much soured the whole party on the .243, certainly Jack as it looked like he was about to wrap it around a fence post. I don't think Jack's brothers who were part of the expedition would've let him live it down except out of kindness.

Fast forward almost 40 years, I'm back in South Dakota and decide to try the 6mm Rem. on deer, the one I set up for coyotes, just for fun. Darned if it doesn't just plain work and that old .30-'06 is the one that gets pulled out just occasionally for something different. Funny, a cousin's kids who were introduced to deer hunting with a .243 think a .30-'06 is about the minimum. I just smile.

Time and unnecessary recoil and rifle weight do odd things to a guy. Best of all, it's one of those six millimeters and not a damned .243.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.