Enjoyed the article.

Agreed there isn't much difference between the 6mm Remington and the .243 Winchester - I suppose I agree with whoever said the 6mm can be considered a mildly improved .243 - with tad more powder it will go a tad faster but the .243 is a tad cheaper to feed with cases and powder for folks who settle for good enough and it is good enough even overkill on varmints.

I had a .243 and my wife an otherwise identical 6mm stocked to fit her and I never saw any difference but I did find the .243 finicky - in those days I was checking case head expansion to tenths with a jig from one of the bullet makers and the .243 struck me as finicky.

After my wife died I bought a stock for the 6mm and kept it with both stocks. A neighbor's 6mm-'06 seemed to kill black tailed jacks just a tad faster - not any deader but during the last black tailed jack population boom - very early 80's - maybe a beat faster? Maybe not and any difference was just one kick or none. Likely I didn't use the best bullet for the purpose which may be an issue with a jack of all trades cartridge.

On the other hand I also agree with whoever said the average gun buyer when both the .243 and the 6mm were new didn't reload and didn't much know or care the difference in external ballistics and bullet weight.

Although certainly a loony at the time I was too young to be a rifle loony and I read Sports Afield with Pete Brown and Townsend Whelan over Warren Page and his guided hunts and foreign adventures. Then as now Sports Afield had some of the best writers smiley. Certainly I had never heard of Fred Huntington and his 6mm adventures at the time - though I was most impressed by Mr. Huntington when I did meet him decades later. So I agree with whoever first said the T-65(?) was touted as a wonder case design giving every bit of the performance of the .30-'06 (which it did in in military ball equivalents but that wasn't the way I read it at the time) so emotionally the .243 was 6mm-'06 - everybody knew the .30-'06 was better - read more powerful than the metric 7mm or 8mm cartridges - people were magnumizing bring backs with the 8mm-'06.

There has to be some emotional appeal to the .308 case or why the .25 Souper when the .25 Bob was already on the scene?