I like shorter rifles, normally in the 18 to 20 inch barrel range. Or Ruger #1 in the 20 to 22 inch barrel range. You would probably never guess that from my screen name...

It would be cool if the same powders that I use in my 375s would work well enough in the 7x57. My first 7x57 was an Interarms Mark V and it shot bug holes with the Nosler 175 grain Partition. I estimated the velocity at 2450 fps based upon reloading manual data. Some years later I bought an Oehler 33, and found they were only a little under 2300 fps. That load was mild on the shoulder and killed everything well, but the chrono ruined the rifle for me. So, I traded it off. Later, Finn Aagaard's writing changed my mind on that. Live and learn.

I plan to put a 2.5x Leupold Compact on it in the near future. If I can get 1.5 inch or less 3 shot groups out of it, then I will be satisfied. Of course, I will accept bug holes, too!

This is my second RSI, I have a Mark II in .243 Winchester that is waiting for my grandson to grow a little.

I really like this rifle, yet it does have some warts. It is too shiny for my taste but that can be fixed. The fit of the front and rear sight bases is not good, there are gaps under and around both. The front sight base has rough gouges on the barrel band. It really scratches the brass hard with the feed rails, from about the middle of the case to the end. The barrel channel is sloppy and has some wood splinters sticking out on one side. The gas relief hole on the side of the receiver is not completely round, it looks like a sizable burr was just pushed over into the hole during polishing.

My .243 RSI has none of those poor workmanship issues. (Shiny is not workmanship, just a matter of preference.) I have owned several Ruger rifles over the years and this is the most poorly finished one that I have ever seen. My stainless 375 H&H Ruger #1 was flawless in fit and finish.

I wonder if something in Ruger's assembly process is gouging the front sight base since my Alaskan has very similar marks in just about the same place.

Got it covered with the 22 LR, 30-06, and 12 gauge.
The rest are just for fun.
NRA Life Member
Never let the truth get in the way of a good story.