My alternate interest in the article was the fact that I have blown up a gun (not on purpose, and not a milsurp).

Winchester Model 70 (post 64, Lightweight push feed, XTR) in .223. The load was 25.5g of H335 behind a 55g Rem Powerlokt.

The cause (or at least near as I can tell) was faulty brass, and catastrophic failure at the head. Only the 6th firing in this lot of brass, but it was economical PMC stuff, and I will acknowledge the load is at the top end, and that it was the load for all 5 firings after the factory firing.

Squeezing the trigger on a Rockchuck, the aluminum floorplate blew off, with the hinge cracking just behind the recoil screw, and the aluminum trigger guard followed identical suit with amputation of the forward screw recess.

The extractor divorced itself from residence, the ejector plunger took refuge in the bolt head, compressing its spring into a solid wafer.

The left receiver side of the wood blew out, with multiple splinters going all directions, including to the rear.

The good news is that I was wearing a brand new pair of Bausch and Lomb Sportsman frames with impact-resistant prescription lenses. I'd picked them up at the optometrist literally on the way to the Rockchuck fields (having sat on my previous pair: I almost chose to go hunting without them, but the doctor put a rush on my eyewear for me). Two or three wood splinters in my cheeks (face cheeks, not the alternative), damaged pride, and a metallic smell in my sinuses like one gets in a car wreck were all the damage to me. Neither me or my partner know to this day whether or not I hit the Chuck. We were distracted somewhat.

Other good news is much as Terry describes: The gun itself survived. Full headspace tests and overall critical check at the local smith pronounced it worthy of my installing parts obtained very promptly from Winchester. Even the wood (a beautiful piece of burl rare from factories) was repaired to near-undetectable evidence of the disaster.

I keep the casualty parts including the brass in a baggie VERY observable at the loading bench, buy and use only quality brass, and probably needlessly lose a lot of money trashing it all after five firings. By doing so, I hope to keep my life experience in blowing up guns to be NOT by purpose, and very singular.

Last edited by Tahnka; 09/04/11.

"I have always disliked the words 'authority' and 'expert' when applied to those who write about guns, shooting,and hunting. I have never set myself up as either."
Jack O'Connor