I subscribe to Handloader, Rifle and Successful Hunter and haven't received this issue yet... last Rifle I have is Sept 2011. So I guess I'll be getting it soon...

As for milsurp rifles - I am among the crowd that thinks they should be left alone if intact and that it is a loss to the gun community each time one of them is bubb'd. Of course, the particular model determins the "degree" of loss - a mosin-nagant 91-30 is different than a 1903 Springfield for instance.

However, if one has been sportered and such already, then I see no harm in taking that and using it for a project gun.

In fact, I did that with a (sniff sniff) M94 Swede carbine that I found at the local funshop - had been butchered to the point of not being a good candidate for restoration. So I bought it and worked on it until it became a nice sporter.

[Linked Image]

Conversly, my Dad gave me a very nice 1898 Krag that had been "sportered" by his uncle before he gave it to my Dad = but this only involved removing the hardware off of the muzzle and cutting the handguard back... so I restored it:

[Linked Image]

Last edited by OSOK; 09/05/11.

NRA Endowment Life
NAHC Life
MOLON LABE!
OCS 120th MP BN MSSG