Originally Posted by Ackman
Originally Posted by chesshirecat
Originally Posted by blairvt
I'm new to diesels, is the duramax a Isuzu engine?

Their first choice was the Cummins, but Chrysler is the sole owner of that design (Ford wants it too)
gary

That's a Cummins design, been around long before Mopar ever thought about using it in a pickup truck. Chrysler owns none of Cummins. Ford owns something like 15%.

dead wrong here. The originl six from back in the early 1990's was, but even then with many mods to it. Chrysler paid cash up front for the R&D, and even went so far as to buy the equipment to manufacture it. At the time Cummins needed the working capital, and signed an exclusive contract with Chrysler. Ford tried to buy the same engine more than once, and were turned away. The next generation was completely owned by Chrysler, and the following versions the same after that. Cummins did develope the motor, but trust me they didn't have a dime invested in it. Now Chrysler owns all the copyrights to it as well as the intellectual property rights. And before you ask who my source was; let me put it to you this, he was the head of all manufacturing and he only answered to the board of directors. That would be Mr. Lucas himself, and if you worked there you worked for him; no matter what plant you were in.
gary