Originally Posted by Longbob
As far as the design of the Cummins engines that Dodge uses, it wasn't a Chrysler designed engine. The Cummins 6BT (T is for turbo) was a collaborative effort between Cummins and Case (the tractor company).

They were in Case tractors a full 5 years before they were in Dodge trucks which began with the 1989 year model. Dodge originally chose the Cummins 6B version which was the non-turbo model.

WRONG! They did use the original non supercharged engines and later redesigned the engines several times. But even the original version was different in many ways from the commercial engine used in medium duty trucks. I said the engines are built in one plant, and Chrysler supplied all the equipment in that underground building. As to who first used that engine; I once read a piece from Cummins that said the engine had been in use way earlier than 1989. We actually used them for awhile to test a power pack for the M113 family of tracks in the early 1980's because of the torque curve it had (that would be the X200 program). I seriously doubt that Case had much todo with the initial design of that engine because they were going outta business back then. (I know they survived)

Refering to the idea that it was a Chrysler design is wrong, and I don't think I ever said that. I did say that Chrysler paid cash up front for Cummins to do a redesign of the existing engine to make it fit the needs of a pickup truck, and also meet the ECM specs back then. Most anybody in the industry knows this upfront. The rights to the intellectual property are Chrysler's (that can be checked out very easilly). When they acceptted the engine and told Cummins about the projected volume; Cummins said up front they couldn't supply that volume. Chrysler then equiped the then vacant (or about to be vacant)plant in Walesbourgh. Cummins builds the motor and Dodge simply buys them from them. This post is in proper context.
gary