Mygirlhunts: I have Hunted most all the Varmints available in all the western states (including North and South Dakota) and if I were to have to pick ONE Varmint Gun to do everything (from Ground Squirrels to Coyotes) I know the caliber would be the wonderful 204 Ruger!
This caliber simply has outstanding ballistic performance and lethality along with noteworthy accuracy.
The 204 Ruger cartridge does everything I need done and does so without excessive recoil (spot my own shots!) and without excessive barrel heating (for ease of Hunting all types of Colony Varmints)!
The caliber choice was easy - the Rifles format is more difficult to attain, "ultimate", status.
I would be hard pressed to find a more "universal" Rifle though than the plain Jane Remington 700 SPS Varmint!
This Rifle is moderately priced and comes with an easily adjustable trigger - the stock fits me moderately well and is about bullet proof in itself.
These Rifles are accurate and have served me well for several years now, without showing any wear or change in abilities or point of bullet impact!
I use my Varminters constantly and 24/7 use is the norm.
The dual front sling swivels of the SPS Varmint is a nice and useful touch, in this again, very modestly priced Rifle.
With this Rifle the North American Varminter would be well served and pleased no matter what manner of Varmint he is after.
At 8 1/2 pounds (even with the heavy 26" barrel) this Rifle is easily carried and yet has enough barrel mass to provide a steady sight picture in the field.
Yep... IF (Heaven forbid), I was to have to pick a single "Varmint gun" for the huge variety of Varmints I Hunt it would be the simple and satisfying Remington Model 700 SPS Varmint in 204 Ruger caliber!
To date, using my various 204 Ruger Rifles I have brought to bag the following types of Varmints: Ground Squirrel, Weasel, Cottontail Rabbits, Prairie Dogs, Skunks, feral cats, Rock Chucks, Jack Rabbits, Raccoons, Fox, Porcupine, Coyotes, Badgers and several varieties of winged nest robbing Varmint birds!
I am happy you are enjoying your new "expanded" sport - year round fun is in your future.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy