Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff

So tonight with a new module, and good plug wires I tried her again. She fired up and idled, but didn't sound quite right. At higher rpm is sounded better/smoother, but at idle it wasn't a purr. I can't really describe it but it just didn't sound right. I took it out and drove it around for about 10 minutes and it just got worse, to the point it stalled. To get it to start I had to floor the accelerator and wait and after a few seconds the rpms picked up and I limped it back in the shop.

I think I've now exhausted all I can do with my limited knoweledge myself. A buddy offered to let me borrow a timing light, but I don't know how the heck to work on timing.

Sounds like you might have a carb problem. It sounds like it's running rich and loading up, hence the having to hold the pedal to the floor then clearing up. Needle and seat may be worn or the floats are bad.

Highly recommend getting the timing light and checking to see where the base timing is, as well as making sure the advance is working. I don't remember what base timing should be off the top of my head, but a chilton manual will have it as well as instructions on how to check the timing.

"243/85TSX It's as if the HAMMER OF THOR were wielded by CHUCK NORRIS himself, and a roundhouse kick thrown in for good measure."