No different than how scouts make a traditional walking staff, there are a bazillion ways to go about it to best fit personal needs. I'm a big fan of crafting my own gear and I'm a big fan of simple gear that is useful when multi-tasking.

If I had input at inventing a factory made aluminum or carbon unit to meet my needs:

I'd want the sections to go together to make a 1-pc full length hiking staff that is strong. I'd want the sections to break down to make two individual hiking sticks or a short hiking staff that are strong. I'd want these two pieces to couple to make a shooting bi-pod for sitting or kneeling, and I'd want it to further break down to make a shorter three legged base to use as a tri-pod for an UL spotter. I've yet to see a factory product designed to cover this much ground. My homemade rig covers all this ground except for the tri-pod.

Best smile

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood