About two years ago I decided that I wanted a 6.5x55 mm Swede. I looked at Ruger M77, Win M70 FW, Sako, and Tikka T3 rifles-- but none were in 6.5x55. The Sako is, I think, only available in a synthetic stocked version. I wanted a wood stock. Also, it's considerably more expensive than the others. In my area this caliber is a special order item. You might be lucky in your area to have a real choice of off-the-shelf 6.5x55s. But where I live availability was a big factor in what I eventually chose. Also, because these are special order here, there are very few "deals." By and large it's full MSRP or more. I liked all of these rifles. The Winchester is the most elegant. I was very impressed with the Tikka, especially at the prices that they originally were going for. In the end I had a chance to order either a Ruger or Winchester. The Ruger was available at around $200 less than the Winchester, so that's what I ordered. I'm not dissapointed in my choice. I've gotten very good accuracy (0.5-1.4" @100 yds) from a variety of bullets and loads including Sierra 120s, Nosler 100 gr BTs, Hornady and Nosler Partition 140s, and Hornady 160s. Only the Remington PSPCL 140s won't shoot in this rifle. No idea why.

However, the trigger on the Ruger is pretty bad and not adjustable. I think almost anyone would eventually replace it. It isn't the worst rifle trigger that I've ever pulled (not by a long shot), but it isn't up to the accuracy potential of the gun.

So, if you just want the best made rifle, I think it is probably the Sako. Probably will cost you though. The Tikka is likely to be accurate right out of the box, it's also light and trim, and has an adjustable trigger. It doesn't have the feel of a traditional rifle though; if you're thinking 98 Mauser or M70, the Tikka might not float your boat. The Winchester is, to my eye, the nicest looking of the group. And the Ruger is well made, accurate, and probably will need a trigger. Maybe also some stock work (free float the barrel).

"You cannot miss fast enough to win."-- Ross Seyfried