It's nice to see that the little Swede is getting such attention on the other side of the pond! It really is a very fine and grossly under-estimated cartridge and is widely respected as a "do it all" for every species of European game up to 1500 lb elk.

Personally, I "saw the light" three years ago and after looking at Tikka's, CZ's (BRNO), a Husquavarna, a Steyr and a Winchester, I eventually settled upon the M70. "Why?" I hear you ask. Basically, it was a case of budget vs. practicality and safety. In essence, that left the Steyr and the Winchester to fight it out. Whilst I really do like the Steyr SBS, a classic half-stock retails for over $1400 less mounts. With a 6x42 Schmidt aboard, this was at the top end of my budget. However, the clincher was the fact that the closed receiver does not allow for easy inspection.

As most deer stalking in the UK tends to take place at first or last light, one invariably has to fumble in the dark to load / unload. Therefore, the only "safe" option was the M70. My particular model was made in the early phase of the USRAC tenure and came with iron sights, a 1-8 22" tube and an exhibition grade stock. I particulary liked the knurled bolt handle (cold, wet hands) and three position safety, but alas, the trigger was typical US manufacture, in terms of "political correctness". My pet gunsmith soon took all the creep and overtravel out and has set the trigger to break at a crisp and very predictable 3 lb.

Load-wise, with such fast rifling, I have found that 125 gr partitions are simply spat out, whilst 129 gr Hornadys fair only marginally better. Only with weights of 140 gr does this rifle start to perform. The 140 gr GameKing over 43gr H4350 barks well without pressure signs and shoots MOA. 142 gr MatchKings with 43gr N160 go into 3/4", but the load of choice is 160 gr Hornady RN over 43 gr N160, which has (if I do it right) 3 shot groups of 16 mm (0.63") at 100m and will literally go through the same hole at 50m. However, one caveat applies - let the rifle cool between shots for a minute or so. For hunting situations, this rule is naturally redundant. Nonetheless, this rifle / load combination is the mainstay for all my deer management (roe, fallow and sika) activities and will be parted with, only when I have to take that final stalk.

I hope that this helps in your purchasing decision. However, I would stress one thing. Whatever you pay for the rifle, make sure that you pay as much or indeed, more for the glass on top.

Good luck!

Jacobite

Where men are men, as are the women and the sheep are nervous...