I have had several 77/22's. Out of the box they all needed a little tweaking to reach their potential, but then I have not owned many rifles of any caliber that don't. As outlined above the main things I did was to

#1 Free Float the Barrel
#2 do a trigger job (instructions at http://www.centerfirecentral.com/77trigger.html )
#3 polish the bore with Flitz Metal Polish
#4 shim the barrel if the barrel shank to receiver fit was sloppy (I placed a shim or shims between the bottom of the barrel and the forward portion of the receiver, a shelf if you will that the V Block Screws thread into to eliminate barrel droop)

I have had one lemon out of about a half dozen or so. This one was a nightmare. The Barrel Shank Hole in the receiver was not straight and true and the shoulder on the barrel that seats against the receiver was not straight and true, thus the barrel did not sit straight with the bolt face. A machinist buddy of mine straightened things out as best he could but it never did shoot as good as the other ones I have had.

I had a K77/22 Stainless Synthetic that I bought used that was a great shooter from the get go. I know it had had a trigger job done to it but it was not free floated. I should have left well enough alone but I had to free float it to see if I could get it to shoot better. It did not and is the only one I have had that free floating didn't improve the accuracy.

[Linked Image]

I ended up turning that one into a Full Custom 77/22. I reworked the trigger some more till it breaks like a glass rod at 1 1/4 pounds and had an overtravel screw installed. I installed a Clark Custom Guns 20" Stainless Bull Barrel and set it in a Volquartsen Laminated Stock. On a calm day this one will shoot sub MOA at 100 yards with Wolf Match Target Ammo.

[Linked Image]

I am currently in the process of restocking this rifle again. This time I am going to go with a McMillan Rimfire Magnum Varmint FIberglass Stock.

Larry

Last edited by Larry_in_SD; 01/22/12.