VaHillbilly: I suggest the sear/spring kit for "trigger improving" the 77/22.
In late December just past, I bought a Ruger 77/22 VBZ (the laminated stock heavy barrel model). It was a barely used Rifle and I decided to "take a chance" on it there in the "off season".
I am very glad I did.
To date I have tested 4 brands of 22 L.R. ammunition and have had good results with all of them so far.
So far I have not had a day that I would "chance" ammo testing out at 100 yards due to bubbling winds of late - so all my testing to date has been at 50 yards.
My best group (5 shots at 50 yards) measured .201" and the worst grouping came in at .695" - and that group that day had "iffy" shooting conditions.
I can't wait to get this 77 out to the range on a dead calm day for lonegr range testing.
By the way the .201" grouping was done with Winchester Super-X 40 grain hollow-point ammunition.
I plan on using my 77/22 VBZ for Colony Varmint and small game
Hunting.
I will wait to judge the accuracy of my new 77/22 VBZ as compared to my Remington 40X, my Kimber heavy barrel 82-G and my Kimber Hunter/Silhouette M-22 until I can get the Ruger 77 to the range on a dead calm day and shoot it at 100 yards.
But my initial indications are such that I believe it will hold up right alongside my other heavy barreled quality 22's.
Best of luck with your new 77/22 and be sure to try the somewhat more pricey Winchester 40 grain Super-X hollow-points.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy