The only time I almost drowned was when my drift boat ran into a sweeper in Jan. The tree had just fallen accross the river as I had fished this section many times

Temps were in the 20's . Boat went into the sweeper flipped and I was pulled under the tree in very strong current. I managed to kick my way out from under the submerged tree. All I could think is what a stupid way to die and how pissed off the wife would be if I died in this manner. Not wearing a PFD and no wader belt.Waders filled up with water and hypothermia starting to set in. Finally made it to shore and pulled myself up on bank. Dumbass for not
wearing a PFD and wader belt.

Have been swept off my feet fishing the surf in waders and the waders helped me stay afloat if wearing a wader belt.When weather is warm I practice swimming and staying afloat in my waders. I now always wear a PFD when I wade.

In the military took open water survival training and had to stay a float for an hour using clothes as flotation.

Obviously the big killer is hypothermia. I dive so might consider wearing a shortie dry suit when boating up in AK.