I've found waders a mild hinderance, but have no trouble at all treading water or swimming. Might take me 400 yrds or so to make the bank. I had to go in once in a coastal Oregon stream when a buddy did not close the clip for my drift boat and shoved it out from landing. Also had to swim about 80 yds across the Deschutes when a buddy let a raft get away while I was fishing. I do not do high risk wading though when the water is less than 40 degrees F. I think in most instances panic or a desire to not let some piece of equipment go is the real killer. In a true emergency, even my finest rods would become wading staffs.

It might of helped that I did all the Navy mandated aircraft escape and survival training as a youngster. Used to make a few extra bucks taking the test for crew that were less than stellar swimers. One simply answered to the correct name when they were taking roll.

I have had two or three scares where I've had a foot get wedged in a crevice while wading. In two of those instances, I had to unlace the boot to extract my foot. I got wet, but did not have to fully submerge in those instances. Another option would have been to simply stand there and wave down a floater or jet sled for help. Mother nature can indeed build some ingenious traps.

The modern neoprene waders are actually pretty good flotation devices. I can wade much deeper now in fast water with the newer fabric systems.

Last edited by 1minute; 02/06/12.

1Minute