40 is plenty, but I am worried about your choce of caliber for this BIG reason.... Do you have ammunition whose headstamp matches the barrel markings on your rifle? I thought the 338/06 was a handloading wildcat round only? Not a problem in Zim, (Just attatch a $20 spot to your paperwork and you could sneak in with a Barret semi auto Model 81 in 50BMG) but if you are hunting in RSA or Namibia you could easily bring 60 rounds and end up having ZERO when you leave the airport.

Rather than worry about how many rounds, and 40 is more than enough, I would advise you to not only make sure that the headstamp and rifle markings match, but that you had ammo for this rifle in SEVERAL DIFFERENT pieces of luggage. Contrary to some unknowing TSA turds, there is no law prohibiting ammo being in the rifle case, and African Regs as well as those in Europe mostly require that this be where the ammo is carried. Usually it is not that big of a deal, but for me it has saved many a hunt to have ammo in the rifle case, in my primary suitcase, in my second suitcase and if travelling with freinds some in thier suitcases as well and some of thiers in mine. This way, when one suitcase does not make a connection, you do not have all of your eggs (ammuition) in one basket (suitcase) and can hunt on.

What country and outfitter are you hunting with?

Last edited by safariman; 02/27/12.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500