Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
$3500? $4000? Good lord, I don't know where you been looking but the last time I checked Searcy charged $595 to build in the mount at the time you ordered the rifle and he supplies the Talley QR rings that fit. I had this done on my 450 NE and the design is clean and well hidden. Never added a scope to this rifle yet but talked to Butch at SCI about possible regulation issues once the scope goes on and he told me in his experience it should shoot the same.

AkMike already mentioned Dale Nygaard and his advice is sound. NO ONE beats Dale's prices or ordering terms or his service. Chapuis UGEX rifles come with built in scope base cuts. I think the ring system is like $300 or so. Chapuis will also regulate your rifle with a scope on at 100 yards if you like. I better any builder would if you asked them to when you ordered the rifle.

Then you have the Heym PH rifles. They are built with a cut in the rail (for no extra fee) that allows you to add a red dot sight without altering anything.

Don't pay any attention to some of these guys trying to talk you out of mounting a scope. It might not look as classic but it can add another demension to your "short range" rifle.

I am currently waiting for my Chapuis UGEX in Blaser 30R to be delivered. Ballistics about 100 fps less than a .300 Win Mag. I have every intention to put a scope or red dot sight on the rifle within a year or so.

I've bought about a dozen guns from Dale over the years and some insert barrels for combo guns. I bought a Chapuis UGEX still NIB from someone who had just taken delivery of it but suddenly needed to raise money (I know that problem all too well, myself).

The second shot I took broke the stock wrist. I called Dale to see if he would sell me a butt stock. He had me send the gun back to him, re-stocked it with even nicer wood, and sent it back to me at no cost whatsoever. Trust Dale Nygaard!

As to scopes on a DR, the two Chapuis in 9,3X74R that went through my hands both were scoped and factory regulated with EAW swing mounts and 2-7 Leupolds. They were regulated with 232gr ammo. With the scope off and using factory Norma 285gr loads, they regulated well at 50 and 100 yards. With the 232s they just crossed at 100 yards.

This is pretty darned good for a moderately priced DR or for any other one for that matter.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”