Well, sometimes. How's that for equivocating.

Once did an experiment with an accurate custom 7x57 with a short-throated chamber, using Hornady Light Magnum factory ammo. I bought three boxes and sorted them for bullet runout, divided the best, middle and worst batches into the three boxes. As I recall, the best box had .003" runout or less, the medium box, .004-005", and the worst box over .005".

The best box shot grouped three shots into 1/2" or so, the medium box shot around an inch, and the worst box into 1-1/2". That's pretty typical of a custom rifle, but most factory rifles have looser chambers, and sorting below .005" or so doesn't do much good.

In a really accurate varmint rifle sorting to no more than .003" will help, and in a real benchrest rifle runout of more than .001" (and sometimes even less) will normally show up on the target.

I've been playing with a 6mm PPC benchrest rifle for a few months now, and my Redding Competition dies produce ammo with no more than .0005" runout. With its best load, in neck-sized fire-formed brass, it groups five rounds into around .18" at 100 yards. With new brass the runout runs up to .003" and the groups open up to .3" or so.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck