Originally Posted by Melvin24
I'm close to pulling the trigger on a Sako Black Bear in 308Win, but I also want to consider the great 30-06.
I already have two 06's, but can one every have enough....LOL grin

My question.
The 30-06 BB has a 20" tube, as does the 308Win. And from memory, when I did use a short barreled 30-06 some years back, I do seem to remember it barked A LOT more than the 308Win in the same configuration.

What do you men think. Is a 20" barrel too short for a 30-06 confused

And what advantages will it have over the 308Win in the same configuration confused
..........I believe that you should get what your gutt tells you as to what you like the best and let the chips fall where they may.

Sure! From a 20" barrel, the 308 won`t quite be as loud as the `06. But with that stated, I would think that regardless of which cartridge you choose, you are going to be wearing some form of hearing protection at all times whether at the range or on hunts? Then if so, then the question as to which one is louder is really a non-issue imo.

Two out of my three rifles/cartridges below have barrels 20" and less. One a 16.5" barreled 300 WSM Ruger compact since early `07 and the other a 20" barreled 375 Ruger Alaskan since about mid `08. I always wear good muffs at the range and wear good hearing protection for field use.

Not to mention noise levels from a 338-378 Wby Accumark w/brake?

No hearing problems.

Get what you like and protect your hearing.

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger