Originally Posted by colorado
Originally Posted by mudhen
There are people (our own Redneck is one) who do not like the new trigger on the FN, mostly because the old one was so good that it makes one wonder, why change? The new FN Model 70s that I have seen and handled are at least the equal of the New Haven models in terms of fit and finish and way better than the USRA rifles.

I took a Weatherby Mark V S/S in .375 H&H to Africa, but never shot any dangerous game with it. However, it worked very well--so well that I spent another $900 to have it accurized by Hill Country Rifles and bedded in a McMillan classic stock. At that point, I had about $1,500 in the rifle, not counting the scope and mounts.

For about $2,000 in today's dollars, you could do the same thing with a Model 70 or a Mark V and have a rifle that would do anything that you ask of it. I have no doubt that the McMillan Prestige DG Custom rifle is worth the coin, but there are more economical alternatives that will work just as well.
Originally Posted by richardca99
I'm going to get crushed by the legions of CZ lovers on this site, so let me clarify my remarks:

There's nothing wrong with a CZ. However, the ones that I've handled would need some attention to be on par with the other rifles mentioned. The actions are rough, they weigh a million pounds, and the fit and finish are uninspiring in this era of CNC machining. Solid rifles, but they are what they are. Now, there are outfits out there that will take your CZ and turn it into a work of art, and that's all good and well. However, the M70 is a $1,200 work of art when you take it from the box.

If you told me that you were on a budget and needed a DG rifle, we'd be having an altogether different conversation; the CZ would be a serious contender (though I'd still point you to toward the M70). You could buy a CZ for an excellent price and spiff it up over time as money allowed. However, the fact that you're looking at the Mark V and the HS Precision tells me that money isn't an object, and I would honestly choose the new Winchester over either of them.

The CZ is a good rifle that will get better with use (and some fine tuning). The M70 is a GREAT rifle right out of the box. The Sako, HS Precision, and Weatherby Mark V DG are all excellent rifles that will leave you wanting for nothing, but they're all going to cost you and they are absolutely no better than the new M70.

If I was going to buy a 375 or 416 I agree with you, but I can tell you when you get to the big boys (450 Rigby, 505 Gibbs, 500 Jeffery) the M70s seem a bit on the flimsy side to me. The CZs do come a little rough as far as the action goes, it costs about $80 to smooth them up. My CZ feels solid, smooth and feeds and extracts fast/slow right side up / upside down but it did need a bit of work.

[Linked Image]

I wouldn't sell it or trade it for anything less than one of these

[Linked Image]

That's probably a fair point. I don't think I'd ever feel compelled to carry anything larger than a 416 in a repeating rifle anyway. That's double territory as far as I'm concerned, but that's just me.

Chris