I have brain shot hundreds of skunks that were trapped in leg holds. After the shot you have about 8 or 10 seconds to get them out of the trap and throw them a short distance away before they spray. You don't want to fumble around doing it though. There will of course be some residual odor from the spraying on the skunk, but he already had a fair bit of that before he was trapped any ways. Strange but after a lot of exposure to skunk sprays I became aware that one of the predominate components of the smell was similar to acetone or lacquer thinner. It takes more than occasional exposure to isolate that scent though. Skunk odor eventually became non-objectionable to me. But it was always interesting to walk into a grocery store after a day checking traps and watch heads turn and people make way. My leather boots absorbed a lot of skunk smell from working at the set site. I believed a well skunk seasoned pair of boots was a great help in masking human odor when making fox and coyote sets.