I just went to four dogs website and watched the video. I have a couple of comments:

First, it has a raised collar on top of the stove. This would make it tougher to pack on a mule if you were so inclined to do. My first Cylinder stove had this feature, the more recent ones have an INTERNAL collar. As for the baffles, the cylinder stove has baffles too and, frankly, I don't see that they really do much.

I'm not sure the need for the fiberglass gasket on the stove door, seems that you need some airflow anyway and the gasket is just something to get damaged or wear out.

I also noticed that he installs the damper in the first pipe section. I think this is a mistake. I have set up a lot of stoves and found that it is best to put the damper at eye level. You can hold more heat in the pipe this way. I have tried it both ways and it makes a big difference.

I do like the legs on this stove better than the cylinder stove.

Looks like a well built stove, I just think there is a little fluff, smoke and mirrors going on here to make it seem better than everything else.

As for burning wood. I am lucky that we have so much good quality wood in Arizona. When I camped in the north, we had our choice of lodgepole or lodgepole!

It has been my experience that conifer wood does not make good stove wood. It tends to burn fast and soot up the stovepipes. I take a night or two worth of wood with me usually. The best being mesquite and walnut. Other good woods are oak, manzanita and ironwood.

When on long winter trips I will take a box of cabinet scraps with me (usually alder) this allows me to build one or two very hot fires to make bath water and heat the tent up to 80 degrees for bathing.

If I use pine or fir, I can't get the nesting stove sections back together without a heavy cleaning. If I don't put any paper in it, I don't need a mesh spark arrestor , otherwise, I do.

I tried the side-saddle water tank and it wasn't for me. Easier to fill and deal with a coffee pot on top.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.