More comments and addendum from D'Arcy:

"Message flagged Tuesday, June 12, 2012 8:23 AMBob
Another reason I thought of wildcat for some time was cost and availability of affordable components then (1976-77) and now. In 76 I could have no sooner bought a magnum Mauser as flown to Mars. Where as the Pre-64 long magnum Mod-70 was at least affordable and there were a lot of them. This action allowed a 4th round down with the H&H box, had a bolt handle that allowed a low mounted scope from the factory, good trigger & safety, etc. As I stated before it was a .423 bullet issue that made me place it on the back shelf. Meanwhile the 416 Taylor could be used in a Std Mag Mod-70 and George Hoffman was quietly working on his 416. All great rounds but problematic to get to feed and in a std rifle with std rails and a magazine that only allowed 3 down.

I now have no doubt you could equal the original Rigby performance which the world seems to consider standard bearer. If you're on budget and saving most of your hard earned tin for that trip to Zim and still want to build a 40 caliber it won't cost anymore for a 423 barrel and with a Mod-70 you won't be going to extremes for gumsithing and get 5 total rounds. As to head stamps ? One could order a run from Hornady perhaps or engrave the barrel with 404-375 H&H and tell the customs official in Harari that the 404 is the weight of the bullet as everything else on the case base would be correct. I have hunted 4 countries in Africa and never had my ammo looked at. Granted if you lost your ammo your'e screwed, I've only lost Guns, never the ammo.

Honestly I feel it makes as much sense as the Mashburn, which really does make sense. Feel free to post what you want.

DArcy Echols"

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.