Oh, I don't know Brad...Kurt's obviously been on more than a few hardcore backpack hunts and undoubtedly knows what he does and doesn't like in a pack.

I don't know why people are jabbering about it being similar to the KUIU or Mystery Ranch suspension systems. Yeah, it shares some vague similarities to the new KUIU frame (one guess as to which reworked suspension system it was modeled after) but it's nothing at all like Mystery Ranch's NICE no-load lifter design, which, in my estimation is a non-starter. The NICE frame, with very little weight in it (35 lbs. ???) that I wore briefly last weekend, was actually very comfortable in the lower lumbar and hips but still pulled back and down on my shoulders. While comfortable, it was exceedingly obvious that it would have been a suckfest if I was really loaded down. There's no question that the Mystery Ranch pack was well constructed, but anybody that thinks their NICE frame is on par - comfortable load bearing wise, with Kifaru's Duplex, is smoking crack or talking out their ass.

Aside from shoulder pad velcro thing, Kurt's "new" pack design, to my eye, looks like there were some design features copied from the Kifaru Duplex design, albeit on a diet. Which, is a pretty damn good place to start if you are going to try to design a new pack. The velco shoulder strap thing is an interesting approach at weight loss that I'd like to see stand the test of time and elements. Also, I'd really like to know exactly how his waistbelt attaches to the frame stays. Unless he's infringing on patent or copyright law, I don't have a problem with another new entrant that is attempting to cater to the demands of the modern hardcore backpack hunting crowd. As a capitalist, I'm all for free enterprise and competition. The consumer is ultimately the winner!

Blatant imitation of Patrick Smith's duplex design aside, there's an obvious design flaw that leaps out at me. I'm always befuddled whenever I see pack designers (both old and new) use compression straps that are perpendicular to the frame - a design aspect is not particularly well thought out. The second you hoist a heavy load on your back - ESPECIALLY when you sandwich something between frame and pack the load will want to start shifting down and the horizontal compression straps don't do a damn thing to help stop the initial sag. The load shifts down and the compression straps, when viewed from the side, end up at an angle. Very simple physics really. The perpendicular compression strap thing looks cool and all in pictures when you've got a bag stuffed with a sleeping bag, but try that with a big freakin' bag of dead meat and it's bound to turn into something ugly that was largely preventable from the outset. Uglier still when you attempt the sandwich load that's seemingly all the rage these days.

So, why not just start with a compression angle that pulls the load up to where it was intended to be in the first place?

But I guess that's what you get when you get myopic and don't let me and other backpack hunters R&D your pack for a while before you go into production. grin wink

It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't, everyone would do it. The hard...is what makes it great.
Reviews are only as good as the crowd reviewing them.
Progressive Liberalism is the philosophy of Western suicide.