Brad,
You are correct, there is no contour to the frame. There are four carbon composite stays in the frame, two in an X pattern, two vertical on the outside. While it would be nice offer formable stays, under very heavy loads the various aluminum stays I initially tested failed. In order to support loads over 100 I found the aluminum stays to become too heavy and thick to effectively form, along with the increase weight to the entire pack. Knowing my body style and what works for me, I chose to keep the weight down and keep the structural integrity to perform under very heavy loads.
The lumbar support in most hipbelts does not work for my body type, it causes lower back fatigue and chaffing. Of course the degree of discomfort depends on the size and density of the lower lumbar support. This is the reason I went with the thicker nitrogen foam to allow enough compression to form to my lower lumbar, hence taking the place of the lower lumbar on my body type. I think of pack fit as personal and individual as a pair of boots, some need more arch support, very similar to the concept of lower lumbar support. This is not a pack for everyone; I designed it with a specific purpose of minimal weight that will pack a boned sheep and all of my gear comfortably on the multi-day pack out. If I can keep my overall weight down to a point I only need to make one trip out, I have effectively doubled the distance I can hunt in comparison to having to make two trips out. I would prefer to have several pockets, formable stays, and many other accessories, but to maintain the overall goal of function there were certain sacrifices I had to make in the design. Perhaps in the future someone will come up with the ultalight pack that will have it all so we don�t have to sacrifice these accessories in the name of weight�I hope they do because I will buy one.
You bring up two very good points on formable stays and lumbar support. As the stays are removable from the fabric frame, it would be feasible to offer formable stays at a decreased load rating for those who may not be hauling that heavy of a load. Likewise, it would be feasible to offer a lumbar support accessory that could be added to the belt for those who prefer it. Thanks for the insight.
If I remember correctly from previous posts you have made over the years, we are both in the Bozeman area. You are more than welcome to take a pack out for a weekend and give your thoughts/suggestions on these topics. However, it sounds you are very in tune with what works for you, so if you would rather not, I understand.
Thanks for the discussion points.
Kurt Racicot
Stone Glacier