Originally Posted by RJM
Will need to run the Silvertip over the chrono again as I must have written it down wrong. That same box of ammo and gun ran 1225 last time it was tested. They normally run 1300 fps from a 6".

Can't say I am surprised at all. I have never heard of the Remington 210 SPs ever coming apart. Remingtom HP ammo was not out very long....never even heard about it until the 170s had been discontinued.

The Winchester round was specifically designed to be a defensive round even thought it say "Hunting" on the box. Low recoil, fast followup shots, fast bullet expansion for relatively low velocity....

CorBon designed their 170 .41 Mag. to be the same...there is one problem however...there are no lightweight self-defense bullets made for the .41 Magnum except for the 170 Silvertip. Everything else if made for hunting. In this case CorBon used the Sierra 170 Jacketed Hollow Cavity that has a lightbulb shaped cavity instead of the traditional HP. The bullet is also toughened with 1.6% antimony.

I used a 180 .44 at 1650 fps and blew through over 2' of deer breaking 2 ribs on the way out. Gary Reeder of Reeder Custom Guns uses the 170 .41 in his .41 GNR #2 at 2K fps to take elk...they are not made for self-defense....

Bob

The Silver Tip is a real dog IMHO. The 170 as loaded by Buffalo Bore is my choice as a self defense load in the 41 mag. In fact I suspect about any of the 210 grainers will do the job nicely

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first