About 10 days ago a thread about a guy here on the 'fire who called Rem to buy a 'rivetless' extractor and was told by the Rem person, "we've never made a rivetless extractor".. Geez.. That's funny, because I have a couple in my Rem parts drawer..

Now, two days ago, a customer of mine was havin' trouble with his Rem M742 (how strange!!!) and called Rem. He said that with a magazine installed, the bolt won't move. The Rem dude sez, "your 'magazine limiter' is worn and needs replacement!"...

So he calls me and asks if I have one.. (????????) I've been workin' with these pos rifles for nearly 15 years and have NEVER heard that term.. He's describing the issue and I just tell him to bring it in so I can see what's wrong.. He also sez some store clerk told him his rifle was 'nearly mint' and shows very little rail chattering..

Whatever.

He dropped it off Wednesday late afternoon.. Yesterday morning I begin - took a magazine, inserted it (locked in nicely and easily) and tried to move the bolt back. Wouldn't budge.

I knew JUST what I was gonna find.. Sure enough - I removed the magazine, turned the action upside down and checked the operating handle retaining pin.. It was far from flush in the bolt.. Two quick taps with a punch and hammer and it was seated. Inserted a magazine and the action worked perfectly..

"magazine limiter" indeed... Ye gods..

When he came to pick up the rifle I took a small light and showed him the upper bolt rail that had teeth marks so deep from bolt over-rotation that this rifle was soon to be a single-shot and/or wall hanger..

Call Remmy at your own risk from now on IYAM...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!