I would like to add my 2cents here. I have found the easiest way to gain velocity in a 280 is to add barrel length. I have been shooting a 280 since 1983, and my brother bought one shortly after that. Mine was a 26" barrel, and my brother had a 22" barrel. I run 57gr of IMR 4350 behind a speer 130gr BT, and push it at 3250FPS, and this is a pretty easy load. My brother runs a max load and I do not know which manual, but he is getting 3000FPS. I will not mention what we chronographed my 162grBT at, but rest assurred it smokes out of a long barrel. I have not had my new barrel on a chronopraph, but I added a couple of inches of barrel. If you are going to have a stand rifle, why not make one that is cheaper to shoot, powder is getting pricey these days. I have had the best of luck with the 130 gr speers. I have lost count of how many deer that bullet has laid out right where they were shot. My brother has killed a number of mule deer as well with the same bullet. I do get 7MM performance from my 280, but I get it by adding extra barrel not extra powder. All of us handloading need to use good sense, non of us wants to experience action failure first hand. Good luck