Okanagan;
I trust and pray that this finds you and yours doing well this fine and very still morning my friend.

As a bit of proof that even aging canines can be taught some new tricks, I changed the way I typically split my fatwood to the thinner and wider wafers such as you've shown.

I split a couple shoe boxes full yesterday after I'd moved firewood to the house and rebedded the bottom metal on the 98 that went crazy on me this season. As an added bonus the garage smells much less like an abattoir now. laugh

Oh, I even finally found a use for a knife that was given to me by a consultant that a few owners back had in to work. He gave me this knife from Lee Valley;

http://www.leevalley.com/en/shopping/AddViews.aspx?p=54891

I must confess that I'd found little use for it until I read your post and thought the hacking knife was built just for splitting fatwood!

Oh, I'm going to try your fuzzing the stick and using the ferro rod right on it too - as well as Dan's very cool tip for modifying a striker.

Thanks to you sir and to all who have contributed to an educational thread. As always you and your family are in my daily prayers.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"