Sixpack: Yes I was somewhat annoyed and perplexed by the "J" lock device when I first saw it and its hard to ignore - but I learned to almost completely do so.
Good to hear you have not had any problems with your 700's.
The 700's are a basic, simple, clever, strong, handsome and reliable design - OFTEN copied by all manner of custom gun/action makers!
Like I posted in a similar thread to yours I do not have any type of metal tester or metallurgic training but I do have a bore inspection tool and several trigger gauges and my close firend has a Hawkeye Bore Inspection optical tool and I am happy with current production Model 700's although some of their models are now way over-priced (IMO)!
Seems that the Remington bean counters have decided hmmm... folks are paying over $1,300.00 for Remington 700 "clone" Rifles why don't we expand our prices as well???
I paid $800.00 (IIRC) a few years ago (April of 2,007 now that I checked my loading log) for a Remington 700 VSF in 17 Remington Fireball - that is the most I have ever paid for a non-40X Remington Rifle.
I love that Rifle and am happy with it in every regard except for that initial price that I had to pay, to get a 17 Remington Fireball Varminter back then.
I probably will not pay anything more than that in the foreseeable future for a Remington Rifle!
I am quite content with the moderate and lower priced bolt action Remington Rifles.
You touch on another subject where I have now decided not to partake of anymore and that is, re-barreling Rifles.
I have decided it is to expensive and I now would rather content myself with trading off guns I am not 100% happy with and simply buying one that I am interested in.
Don't let me talk you out of your re-barrel job though as you are quite likely to obtain better accuracy and ease of cleaning etc once you do so.
In fact I wish you best of luck if you decide to re-barrel that 243.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy