Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Originally Posted by rod44
Good idea.
No, it's not. Another reason why Alabama's education system is in the bottom ten nationally. For one thing, it doesn't address the Federal Law preventing guns in the schools. The state, locals and school board can pass any laws and regulations they want to, but it doesn't keep the Feds from coming into any district and rounding up those carrying guns for violating the Gun Free Schools Act of 1994. All it does is identify the participants. What needs to be done is simply remove the offending Federal Law and then let whomever can legally carry do so. My guess is a bunch of state laws against carrying guns as well as local ordinances and school board policies against same. Locales which refuse to allow responsible parties to protect school children and school employees and patrons can be held accountable if something happens. In the better places, such as Wyoming and Oklahoma, there will be few problems. In places like Connecticut, at least it takes the monkey off the back of the Feds and places it back with people closer to the kids themselves. You disarm somebody and IMO you become responsible for their protection. You remove obstacles to taking responsibility for peoples' protection and that of those in their charge, and you empower them to prevent future acts of violence.
Excellent reasoning, as usual for you, but I was under the impression that the Supreme Court struck down the Gun Free Schools Act of 1994.
They may have, but it's still around in one form or another. Google it and you get a litany of years after the Act. Congress seemingly keeps changing it and bringing it back. Your schools don't still have the signs up? For awhile, I was under the impression most districts just left up the signs while they had no authority, but I'm pretty sure the law is back, modified somewhat. The rub originally was that guns weren't allowed within so many feet of a school and that violated the 2nd Amendment rights of those living within that measurement...IIRC. At any rate, I'm pretty sure it's still around, possibly with another year after it.