Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Originally Posted by dryflyelk
No ranging capability below 100 yards? Wow. I was going to buy these, too. What a stupid decision by Leica.

I think the problem is no ballistic or ranging compensation under 100 yards. The RF can range as close as 10 yards and give straight LOS readings, I believe.

Bad explanation on my part. I understand. Pretty crappy, though, for anybody that bow hunts.

There are quite a few western bowhunters like myself who are looking for the perfect optical solution. Having a separate bino and rf is a pain in the butt, especially when you're spotting and stalking. It's so much nicer to have it in one integrated unit.

For me, the angle compensation is a must. I missed a couple of deer because I did not have this feature with the old geovids, so I swore that I'd upgrade if I ever could.

I own the Swaro El Range now, and I like it a lot, but it is not perfect. I wish it ranged under 33 yards (very helpful when shooting 3d tournaments, for example) and I wish the button was on the right side of the frame. I do notice that the optics aren't as good as the swarovisions though - that's no surprise, as there is no free lunch- but I find I miss the swarovisions.

If the Leica's really are all software based, I hope they can come out with an update that will calculate shorter yardages with angle compensation. That's a big deal.

The other factor is obviously the optics. I'd love to stack them up against the El Range and the swarovisions. I'm anxious to hear first hand reports from guys who have tried both.